Monday, September 1, 2014

WEEK 55: BUT IF NOT, SHALL WE NOT GO ON IN SO GREAT A CAUSE?

ST JOHNS, FLORIDA
COMPANION:  ELDER BORE
district leaders


Dear Mom,
This was going to be my letter, but I decided to send it just to you.
Love,
~Elder Jorgensen

Is it Christmas yet! I think it probably should be.

It was warm this week. Some great things happened. Aubrey is being
baptized on Saturday. We had a lesson so a family of investigators in
a member's home. We knocked on a lot of doors. A lot.

A lot.

So, you know.

I have some thoughts. They revolve around a conference talk entitled:
"But if not", which focuses on the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abed-nego. These verses take place immediately after the King of
Babylon threatens to throw them into the furnace if they do not
worship the idol he has built:

"If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the
burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O
king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not
serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Our God will deliver us! We are not afraid of your rantings and
threatenings and hate! We are protected! We shall emerge unscathed.
But if not... We will believe anyway! How inspiring are they!

I have faith, and it is supported by empirical evidence, and personal
experience. I have been blessed and rewarded and received knowledge,
but if not...

The Lord will bring many thousands unto repentance, He will consecrate
my performance to my good, He will heal my broken mind, He will
protect me. But if not... Then I will still BELIEVE! I will not stop
believing EVER. I will trust in the Lord.

"Our God will deliver us from ridicule and persecution, but if not. …
Our God will deliver us from sickness and disease, but if not … . He
will deliver us from loneliness, depression, or fear, but if not. …
Our God will deliver us from threats, accusations, and insecurity, but
if not. … He will deliver us from death or impairment of loved ones,
but if not, … we will trust in the Lord.

Our God will see that we receive justice and fairness, but if not. …
He will make sure that we are loved and recognized, but if not. … We
will receive a perfect companion and righteous and obedient children,
but if not, … we will have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, knowing
that if we do all we can do, we will, in His time and in His way, be
delivered and receive all that He has. I so testify in the name of
Jesus Christ, amen."

I have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He will be with us! He will
still deliver us. I will cry unto Him for mercy, for He is mighty to
save, and He will answer my plea. Oh what a joy that is to me.

“Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not
backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your
hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth
into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to
the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which
would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners
shall go free.

“Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and
all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! And
ye rivers, and brooks, and rills, flow down with gladness. Let the
woods and all the trees of the field praise the Lord; and ye solid
rocks weep for joy! And let the sun, moon, and the morning stars sing
together, and let all the sons of God shout for joy! And let the
eternal creations declare his name forever and ever! And again I say,
how glorious is the voice we hear from heaven, proclaiming in our
ears, glory, and salvation, and honor, and immortality, and eternal
life; kingdoms, principalities, and powers!” (D&C 128:22–23.)

How glorious is the voice we hear from heaven! And truly do we hear
it. Truly it is Christmastime for our King has come! God is with us!
He hath spoken to men once more. And thus saith the Lord: "I will go
before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and
my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to
bear you up."

But if not, I will still believe.