Tuesday, October 28, 2014

WEEK 63: Matters

ST JOHNS, FLORIDA...transferring to ST AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
COMPANION:  ELDER ANDERSON...new companion will be Elder Burton
district leaders

Sometimes things matter! And sometimes things don't. So be careful what you do! Be careful what you work for.




"Pygmalion was a sculptor from Cyprus, and, like all great artists, Pygmalion loved his work. Then the day came when he would create the great masterpiece of his life. In deathless ivory he would carve the statue of a beautiful woman and show the human form and human personality at its best. Week after week and month after month he labored until finally the statue was completed. And so great was the devotion and love that Pygmalion had lavished upon his work that the gods decreed that the statue would have the power to breathe and move and live. As she stepped down off the pedestal, Pygmalion called her name Galatea, and Pygmalion married his work. But this is much more than just an idle myth, as the story of Pygmalion is the story of every person who ever lives. For God has decreed that for everyone who falls in love with his work, his work shall live."

I love working for the kingdom! I love being a missionary. I feel like Ivanhoe.


'I swear by the honor of my house, I would endure ten years of captivity to fight a single day by that great man’s side in such a quarrel as this.' Captivity would have been the greatest punishment to which Ivanhoe could have been subjected, and yet he said, 'I would gladly languish ten years in a dungeon cell for the privilege of fighting by the side and under the banner of a great man in a great cause.'

This week was a lot of tracting. No one really talked to us. At all. But a few people did call the police and we got to talk to the lovely officers! So you know, silver linings.


Also, I got transferred! I am moving from the north side of St. Augustine to the south side. It will probably not be that much of a change in geography, but it is a big change in demographic. I'm excited! 

My new companion is Elder Burton from Seattle. He has been out about 15 months and he is delightful. I have served around him before and we get along famously. He will be my 4th companion in the last 43 days. Wild ride. I have had 9 companions (not counting the third missionary in the two temporary trios I have been in) and served in 6 areas (not counting the MTC). Elder Anderson [my companion] says that means I'm a problem missionary. He's probably right.

Well, I love you! I love being a missionary! One cool miracle. One of our investigators had a baptism interview. He didn't show up, he didn't answer our calls or texts. We went to his house, we knelt in his driveway, and we prayed him there. Yep. We prayed him there. He showed up, we took him to the church, and he passed his interview. Miracles.

There are lots of kinds of faith. Well, two. The faith to endure what is happening, and the faith to make what is not happening, happen. The best kind of faith is "But if not" faith. We've talked about that already though.




Happy Halloween!!

~Elder Jorgensen


********************



Excerpts from Letters Home

To Dad:

I love you Dad! Thank you for this email. Change is TOUGH! I've been called to be a zone leader. It's a change for sure. So, you know, pray for me! I love you! I will be in St. Augustine, so I will be the zone leader of the zone I've already been in! I already know everyone and my new companion Elder Burton was in my ward in Gainesville so I know him pretty well already. It's going to be great.

***************