Monday, November 10, 2014

WEEK 65: Fear Not! / The Captain

ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
COMPANION:  ELDER BURTON
zone leaders

My favorite commandment is, "FEAR NOT!"


The Captain
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud:
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed. …
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 14
~Invictus, by William Ernest Henley
as quoted by James E. Faust

Deep down, you are more than flesh, more than experience, more than thought. There is a spark, an essence of divine, that makes every human being more magnificent than the whole balance of creation! What a blessing it is, then, to know the night has an end, that the keys of the Pit are held, to know the Gods, Father and Son, and to captain our own souls.

What a blessing to be a missionary! It doesn't always feel like a blessing. This week I got hundreds, HUNDREDS of bug bites. Not exactly sure what happened. There was this swarm of gnat-like demons that got all up in my business. I itch everywhere. So I made a game. Every time I think about the itch, I recite a scripture. Of course, I only know about 4, so I'm getting those down really well.

Tuesday we spent all day helping a family move. Wednesday we had zone conference where we received some great instruction from the Mission President. Thursday and Saturday were work days. Sunday was mostly church dominated. (Travel time and meetings...) And Friday Elder Soares came and taught us how to be great missionaries.

It's a tricky thing, being a great missionary. Being a good missionary isn't that hard; wake up, knock, sleep, repeat for two years, be done. Being a great missionary is a lot more work. He mostly focused on FOCUS. Everything you think, say, feel, ponder, pray, teach, and are, should be focused on your purpose. There is no relief after two years, no runners collapse after the finish line. The finish line is the starting line! So settle in, and figure out your purpose.

What a magnificent thing, to be taught personally by a general authority for the third time in 4 months.

I got a little carried away on Wednesday. It was zone conference. I was feeling it. I got up to the podium and pounded the pulpit and turned off the microphone and used my rather loud voice to testify and exhort. It was quite the spectacle. Have I talked much about Joseph and Peter in these letters? That's what my testimony revolved around. Bahahahaa you should have seen President's face afterwards. I will probably not be saying much in zone conference from now on.

So there's always an adventure. There's always something new to do here in St. Augustine. I'm going to try and describe the city for you. Ready?

Imagine a city in Europe. Kind of random streets, nice old architecture, ruins here and there, lots of local pride in your heritage. Te next ingredient is the forest. There are so, so, so many trees, rivers, swamps, and the like. It's almost as if the forest is swallowing every building in St. Augustine in slow-motion. It's an old town, so make sure you're imagining sort of relaxed peacefulness. But it's also a college town, with three different colleges, so throw in a whole slough of young adults and some party scene on weekends especially. Bands playing from up rooftops, downtown all lit up, etc. It's touristy too. There are historical sights, museums, zoos, beaches, trolleys, etc. But it's not south Florida tourist (Miami, south beach, key west, Orlando, etc.) because on one end of the street is tourism and the other end is the old Florida Deep South baptist churches, mobile homes, etc. It's modernized. It's diverse. It's a city of contradictions. My favorite contradiction in the deep sense of Catholic heritage and history and loyalty in a Bible Belt town. It's just a wonderfully peculiar place.

The nights have grown rather long and chilly. Winter is a pensive time of year. When things are dark and cold and quiet and endings and new beginnings are upon you, it's our nature to review, to ponder. I used to love that about winter. Now I'm not so sure. I love summer! I love the heat and the light and the energy. I have this longing for more... For more progress to be made, for more hours in a day, for more personal growth and success in the work. I want temples in every society and hundreds of millions of members. I want Zion to be built and Israel to be gathered and more scripture and grand miracles and I want Him to come.

I'm so happy. I have the most phenomenal life and things are going so well here. But I can't help but ache for, pray for, and long for Him.

Oh when shall I see Jesus and reign with Him above,
And shall hear the trumpet sound in that morn'?
And from the flowing fountain drink everlasting love,
And shall hear the trumpet sound in that morn'?

For now I am a soldier, my captain's gone before,
And I'll hear the trumpet sound in that morn'.
He's given me my order and He bids me ne'er give o'er,
'Till I hear the trumpet sound in that morn'.


When shall I be delivered from this vain world of sin,
And shall hear the trumpet sound in that morn'?
And with my blessed Jesus drink Heaven's pleasures in,
And shall hear the trumpet sound in that morn'!

Oh shout with glory I shall mount above the skies
When I hear the trumpet sound in that morning
Oh shout with glory I will mount above the skies
When I hear the trumpet sound in that morning!

May your morning come soon.

~Elder Jorgensen