Monday, November 24, 2014

WEEK 67: Baptism Week!



Yesterday, five people were baptized into the St. Augustine Ward. Three were taught by us, two by the Sisters. FIVE. It was a pretty solid day.

What a DAY! Oh it was madness. I was actually out of town for the two days previous to it. I left and everything was set. I get back and Elder Burton is a little stressed. There are four wards that meet in our building. 9-12, 11-2, 1-4, and then our time, 3-6. Well the baptisms were all going to be at 6! I get back, and they are all scheduled for 2:00 now. We have a meeting with the stake president, the high council, and the mission president at 1. Church is at 3. And there are two other wards using the building while we need to fill the font, set up, and have the program.

So it was pretty crazy! It was like the waters of Mormon in there! But we did it! There are FIVE new members of the St. Augustine Ward. Glory.



It was just an excellent week. Monday I got to write to y'all. Tuesday was the coldest day in the history of weather, and we were on bikes all day! It's about an hour on bikes to get to where we work from our house, each way. But my bike is probably the nicest one in the mission so no worries there! Also, I had trade-offs with the assistants this week! That was on Thursday, and it was awesome. The assistants are rock stars. They knew things about missionary work I didn't even know I didn't know! I got to interview one of their investigators for baptism. That was fun. Also, the assistant who came to my area saw how much we were biking and assigned us a ton of extra miles. Oh yeah!



Also on Tuesday, we also had district meeting outside. It was quite the experience. Some of the missionaries were not having it. BUT! I came prepared. When I got the text from the district leader, I got four suit coats, two blankets, three rain jackets, and gloves. We also brought all the big cushy furniture out of the church and set up in the sunshine. Apparently though, it was not sufficient. We left for a minute to do some interviews and came back and they had started a fire! Always an adventure.

Let's see... Wednesday we got back from Palatka, walked out our front door, and there was a giant, pure-bread husky just strolling down the street. We named it Balto. Then we found out it was a she and we named her Guava. Anyway, Guava walked up to us, and just put her giant beast head into our arms. So we got a tie, used it as a leash, and went Guava tracting. Probably not the most effective use of time, but we legitimately panicked. And also we fell in love. Sigh, oh Guava. So after 40 minutes or so we got in touch with the animal people, they came, found her I.D. Chip, and took her home. at one point they tried to have US drive her home. We tried loading her in the car just to see if we could manage it. We could not.

Also on Wednesday, we had a miracle! Looking for less actives at nine at night in the proletariat side of town... Ever have two people from a church you used to go to but don't like anymore knock on your trailer door at nine at night? Neither had they. It was a unique experience for everyone involved. We had contacted a dozen or so, then we get an unusual response. A man looks out the window, face is one of absolute shock. He laughs, jumps back from the window, and runs to the back of the house. It was a singular reaction. A minute later, a woman steps out onto the porch, grinning ear to ear, and nonchalantly answers our questions. No, she is not a member of the church, yes this is the house we were looking for, but those people have moved. More smiling. So we start teaching her the restoration. She just keeps nodding, smiling, agreeing. Finally, halfway through the lesson, I stop and ask, "What are you so happy about ma'am? It is contagious!" Turns out, she and her husband were just discussing the importance of church, wondering which to attend in this new city they had moved to...

We are meeting with her again on Wednesday. And that is how things go in St. Aug.



Nights of lights have started up! Do you know about the nights of lights?? Oh they are fantastic. Downtown St Augustine is decked out in white Christmas lights, with music playing and a Christmas tree in the middle and thousands of people out walking the touristy streets and historical sites and shops. It started is week and lasts until January. Gorgeous.

Ate some homegrown Florida oranges right off the top of the tree after the first cold snap of the season. It was like orange candy but sweeter and purer. You could literally taste the freshness. It was unreal.

So many flavors. So many sights. So many experiences and things to see. We just walked all up and down St. George Street, which is like a small seaport village, and played volleyball in the sand (not on the beach, nobody panic) on Anastasia Island. It's like living in a fairytale! It's like having your life scripted.

And of course, last night we taught Elizabeth, who will be baptized at 6PM, 13 days from now. 




It's a beautiful thing. It is a fantastic church. I love it. I am so thrilled to be here. This is my dream. This is everything I ever wanted and more than I dared imagine. These are my hopes being vitalizations, this is my fantasy world being brought to life. And it's hard. And there's incredible pressure to perform. And there's never a day I am not corrected somehow by someone. And every moment's experience makes the next moment's event only all the sweeter! I would never leave. I cannot imagine a purer, more delicious way to spend the currency of my mortality. I cannot conceive of a mightier realm of experience than this!

Hail to that God that brought this creation into being! Hail to the Father that organized the fine matter of my spirit. Hail to my blessed Jesus, who enables me to live from grace to grace! If you could only know how dark was the night, it would wrench exultation from your lips to behold the most glorious light of morn'! Hail to the Prophet,
through whom my Jesus brought back His gospel. Praise to the man! I know who to thank. I know where to turn this Thursday, and in whom I may boast.

My God has been my salvation! He has raised up a mighty horn to Israel! He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leaders me beside the still waters. He is Wonderful. Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and so what if we are wont to swim in deep water? Upon this Rock we are built, and we cannot fall!! I glory in my Jesus. It has been magnificent. I cannot be happier. This is my dream come true.

I wish there was time for more. I love you. I love this. I love it.

~Elder Jorgensen